My take on Wordpress theme and hosting - @cyberchimps and @wpengine

iFeature Pro renders on iPhone and
Adroid like a charm. It even let the
slider run correctly!
The last week I’ve been looking for a better home and better themes for Middelhavets perle, iakttakelser and an upcoming regional Norwegian blog.

I’ve discussed the process in How to choose a mobile-first Wordpress theme and where to run it in 2012? and after a week of thinking and discussion, I’ve found both a good theme and a home for my blogs.

The deciding factors for me on hosting is speed and support. It seems like WP Engine can do just that.

For themes, the important issue was good rendering on mobile, tablet and TV, and that seems Cyberchimps are delivering well on. Below are the links to the winners in my private research.

iFeature Pro from Cyberchimps. I had to admit, there was some resemblance to Apple website that made me stop and look. But then it seemed to have everything we needed for our blogs, and some more. But it was when seeing it render on iPhone and Macs I was convinced. It was blazingly fast. iFeature is not just a winner — it’s a champion!


WP Engine is my advice to my partners. And even if it’s horrible expensive, I know I want to host on their site. Here are their selling points that resonate with me:

  1. Expert Wordpress Support. Every people you talk to, know WordPress.
  2. Lightning speed *Google says they lose 20% of their traffic for each additional 100 milliseconds it takes a page to load. Speed matters. Google also incorporates your page-load time into your site’s search rankings. Faster sites *
  3. Insanely fast, infinitely scalable. We also may make a hit, and I don't want us to be taken down if that happen.
  4. Hacked, we’ll fix it, free. I’d been hacked before, and will never try to fix that again!
  5. The features you asked for . Being able to try out new versions and themes without affecting the running site is really nice.
  6. Assistance with moving your sites. I’ve tried this with the help of Host Gator, and they couldn’t fix it. I’ve tried it myself, and didn’t make it. This is a real chore, and I want it done properly, even if I have to pay that insane amount of $300!
  7. All the technical details. What impressed me is their Content delivery network — a set of servers around the world to help cache and speed up the your site.

If you think I’m wrong on one or both, you have the change to advise me. If not, you may later my posts on just @cyberchimps and @wpengine!

Populære innlegg fra denne bloggen

InvestorForum by VentureLab in Oslo a success story #startups

10 argumenter mot EUs datalagringsdirektiv

Statsbudsjettet 2010 og steinerskolene