19 y.o Raises $5 Million to Revolutionize Searches
There where Google can't reach, Greplin can! This is the premise of Daniel Gross, a 19 y.o. guy from Israel who has raised 5 Million Dollars to keep working with a user-authorized search engine that can access Facebook, Twitter, Google Docs, Salesforce...
Here's a part of the story read at Inc.com:
Read the full original story here.
Here's a part of the story read at Inc.com:
I'm originally from Israel. I was in Israel and had graduated high school, and I was all set to go into theIsraeli Army. I applied to Y Combinator. And not thinking I'd get in, I was invited to an interview. I thought of it as a fun long weekend in San Francisco. They had an odd reaction—they didn't quite like what I was working on, but I guess they liked me. They wanted me to come back, so I hopped back on a plane.
In my three months there, I built several things, none of which caught on. Right at the end of Y Combinator, you get a cool opportunity to get up on a stage and show your project to the world. And our project had just got shut down, so this was 48 hours before the end of the program. I went over to [Y Combinator co-founder] Paul Graham's house, and he said, "Just build something that you'd want to use today, not something you think people could use somehow." So I created a very, very, very basic demo in that 48 hours.
I got a weird reaction. I was a disheveled 18-year-old kid. But the idea had support. So I spent the next months building a workable product by night and raising $780,000 in angel funding. It was from a pretty cool team, the guy who made Gmail, Paul Buchheit, and Chris Dixon, and the guy who didSquare. Also the CTO of Facebook, Bret Taylor.
I got a weird reaction. I was a disheveled 18-year-old kid. But the idea had support. So I spent the next months building a workable product by night and raising $780,000 in angel funding. It was from a pretty cool team, the guy who made Gmail, Paul Buchheit, and Chris Dixon, and the guy who didSquare. Also the CTO of Facebook, Bret Taylor.